By 2021, the forestry sector aims to export timber and forest products to 14 billion USD, but the biggest concern of this industry is the risk of facing more trade defense lawsuits, especially anti-trade lawsuits. tax evasion.
– On the afternoon of January 6, the Vietnam Administration of Forestry (Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD)) held a Conference to summarize the direction and administration in 2020 and implementation of the key tasks in 2021.
Aim for $ 14 billion
– Information on outstanding results in the forestry sector in 2020, Mr. Pham Van Dien – Deputy Director of the General Department of Forestry said that the export of timber and forest products in 2020 will reach about 13.17 billion USD, exceeding 5.4%. plan in 2020, up 16.4% compared to 2019.
– Import value of wood and wood products in 2020 will reach about 2.58 billion USD, up 11% compared to 2019. Trade surplus is estimated at 10 for the whole year. USD 5 billion, up 17.9% compared to 2019. Regarding payment for forest environmental services, by the end of 2020, the whole country has earned VND 2,566.86 billion.
– Setting targets for 2021, Mr. Pham Van Dien said that the national forest coverage rate will remain stable at 42%, improving the quality of forests; reduce at least 10% of the number of violations and 20% of the damaged forest area compared to 2020. The export value of timber and forest products reaches USD 14 billion. Revenue from environmental services reached 2,800 billion VND.
– Speaking at the Conference, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Nguyen Xuan Cuong highly appreciated the achievements of the forestry sector in 2020, especially in the context of the Covid-19 epidemic affecting the production and processing and consuming wood and forest products, causing a ruptured global supply chain. Along with that, logistics activities have difficulty due to the lack of containers causing high freight rates.
– Climate change and unusual weather make this industry face both storms and wildfires…. However, with the drastic participation of the ministries, branches, localities, enterprises and the whole sector, the results of 6 working groups have been achieved. Notably, in 2020, the export of timber and forest products not only maintains but exceeds the set plan, making a great contribution to the growth of the entire Agriculture sector.
– Praising the relatively comprehensive results at the high level of the entire forestry sector, however, Minister Nguyen Xuan Cuong noted the shortcomings and bottlenecks that need attention not only in 2021 and in the coming years. Accordingly, although the forest coverage reached 42%, the three key areas are completely unsure, including: Northwest, Central Highlands, and coastal forests.
– 3 areas related to energy security, water security, especially geographic sustainability. The current coverage of the Northwest is only 46%, the Central Highlands is 45%, and the coastal forest has been too much penetrated. Therefore, mid-term, long-term, strategic, and project plans should focus highly on this area.
– The policy of zoning for protection and development of forests has been numerous, but so far inadequate, active enough to stimulate participants, objects to participate in, and restore and develop forests.
– For the group of plantations up to this point we can not deny scissors but too unified acacia is a matter of consideration. Need to take into account structure. In addition, the exploitation of young, improperly planned sustainable development is still popular. There are still many violations of forest law and deforestation. Besides, there is still forest fire.
– Wood processing industry and wood furniture development have progressed, but the products are still mainly raw, deep-wood furniture processing enterprises, high-value handicraft products are still not universal. Especially, the wood processing enterprises are imbalanced in the region, concentrating mainly in the South and Eastern provinces, while the North Central and Central regions lack factories and industrial zones for the wood industry. This leads to high logistics, low purchasing of raw materials, not stimulating the regeneration and development of forests.
– Non-timber forest products and the forest economy are not much, and have not yet reflected the true potential.
Consistently develop production with sustainable growth
Minister Nguyen Xuan Cuong also said that this sector is facing many difficulties. One of those challenges is that the global trade competition is increasingly fierce. South Korea and the US are two markets where the wood industry exports the most now “show cards” (investigation against tax evasion). This is a very dangerous thing to be aware of. Therefore, the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development requested the Vietnam Administration of Forestry to continue speeding up reforestation, without this there would be no timber export sector.
– Sharing the same point of view on this issue, Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Ha Cong Tuan also noted that in the short term, the wood industry needs to have some work that is to steadfastly develop production with sustainable growth, and definitely protect. Forest, develop better forests.
– In particular, Deputy Minister Ha Cong Tuan said that the forestry sector needs to strictly control the digging of trees and felling trees during the upcoming Lunar New Year, it cannot be said that this is difficult to do. Absolutely not to dig trees from the forest for consumption.
– Regarding solutions to prevent tax evasion investigation and discussion on the sidelines of the Conference, Mr. Pham Van Dien said that for many years, the forestry sector has introduced solutions to say no to illegal timber in the war. strategy, direction and development scenario of the industry.
– This has been demonstrated by the act of Vietnam signing a Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA) with the EU. This Agreement is legally binding with the aim of improving forest governance and promoting legal timber trade from Vietnam to the EU. At the same time, the Government has also issued Decree No. 102/2020 / ND-CP regulating the system of ensuring legal timber in Vietnam.
– “Three weeks ago, in a joint Government-level conference between Vietnam and the EU, the EU side acknowledged that Vietnam is implementing the VPA / Flegt Agreement very well,” said Mr. Pham Van Dien, at the same time, still expressed concern about foreign enterprises investing in hiding and hiding the shadow to forge the origin of Vietnamese wood and then exported.
– According to Pham Van Dien, Vietnam’s participation in many free trade agreements such as EVFTA, CPTPP … is inevitable for foreign goods to mix, fake the origin of Vietnamese goods for export, and enjoy a tax rate of 0%. This is a very big risk, if discovered by its partners, the wood industry will be subject to tariffs from a few dozen to hundreds of times. Therefore, the leaders of the Vietnam Administration of Forestry warned Vietnamese enterprises absolutely not “abide” for this action, coordinating with the authorities to prevent this issue at the root.